Monday, August 25, 2008

First Post

Hello! My name is Alise Cool, and I am one of the two new diversity fellows for this year. I'm a sophomore, majoring in Journalism and Spanish, and am absolutely excited for this opportunity. I grew up right here on the East side of Indy and graduated from Warren Central High School. Learning about other cultures has always been my passion and going into this fellowship that's exactly what I hope to do. I've only been working here a week and already I have learned a lot about China (and India, thanks to Sindhu!) that I would have never known and I'm so grateful for that.

One of our jobs as fellows is to create a cultural display every two or three months. We have decided on a topic for our first display, which we hope to have out in about three weeks: China! Since the Olympics were just there and therefore everyone's focus is already on that region, we decided to hop on that bandwagon and help the IUPUI community get to know a little bit more about Chinese culture. We are working with the CCC (Chinese Culture Club), the Confucius Institute and many other campus organizations to try and bring you the most accurate, educational and interesting display we can. We will also be developing an internet exhibit to coincide with the project, so keep your eyes open!

No comments: